Written Fireside is a round robin style written, short story feature based on the campfire game where one person starts a story then passes it on to the next person gathered by the fire to continue.

For each story I write part 1, then each participating author (a Fire Writer) adds a part in turn.

Dec 15, 2014

Naughty or Nice? The Christmas Burn Up by Charlotte Phillips




This Christmas enjoy how each author creates a unique tale from the same starting sentences written by


Georgia Beyers
the author of 
can be followed online 


Fifth in the anthology is 



 

Charlotte Phillips 
fellow Harper Impulse author and 
a Fire Writer for Written Fireside 
in For Clara: Parts 6 & 12 


check out her Fire Writer Friday 
& 
First Fight Friday interviews.




The Christmas Burn Up


Charlotte sat at the bus stop wondering whether she would make the naughty or nice list this year. Last year she had rescued a stray kitten and therefore considered herself most definitely “nice”. This year she had broken Daniel’s heart into a million tiny pieces, so “naughty” seemed to be the only answer. There’d be no Santa Claus coming down her chimney anytime soon. – Georgia Beyers

Then again, she supposed it all depended whose side Santa would come down on if he knew the facts. Did Santa realise that for all his repeated claims that she had broken his heart, Daniel had broken hers first? And Daniel might have told her, repeatedly, that he was heartbroken when she refused to take him back and give things another chance, but could his heart really be broken into a million tiny pieces when three weeks earlier he’d ended their relationship himself? He’d made a mistake , he said, as if that was somehow a good enough reason for her to take him back. But what it boiled down to was that he’d decided the grass wasn’t greener after all. She’d broken his heart because she wouldn’t let him change his mind. 

How the hell was that HER fault?

She’d stood her ground firmly in the face of his apologies. Her stubbornness or his desertion? Whose side Santa would come down on? Santa was a man. She bet he’d back Daniel, just like Daniel’s gang of firefighter mates had closed ranks. The air was cut-glass cold as she breathed in and she pulled her coat around her more tightly.

Copyright © Charlotte Phillips

Read the rest of The Christmas Burn Up plus fourteen more short Christmas stories for free right now. 





Charlotte's bio:

Even as a child I loved stories. When I wasn't reading them, I was making up my own, usually with myself as the heroine. My writing is fueled by tons of coffee and years of daydreaming during my string of office jobs. All my books are the kind I love to read - funny, engaging it-could-happen-to-you stories and if they brighten someone's day, that's good enough for me :0)
I live in Wiltshire, England, where I squash my writing in between looking after my family, who have been taught not to notice that I'm rubbish at housework. I also have a bit of an addiction to American TV shows and timesuck social media games and it's really a miracle I get anything done at all.

Follow Charlotte Phillips online
WEBSITE  ~  FACEBOOK  ~  TWITTER  ~  BLOG 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...